Saturday, November 7, 2009

Loyola Students


My favorite singer is Puerto Rican hood star (singer from the street) by the name of Nengo Flow. He is from the hometown Vigio in Baysmon Puerto Rico. Nengo Flow is related to me in a lot of different ways. One he is a full blooded Puerto Rican like me. Another interesting thing about him is that he is Street in music but not fake Street. Like a lot of these rappers today they talk about drugs, killing, and guns while they don't really do that in everyday life. The thing about him in Puerto Rico there are no gangs just the battle between drug hoods. Every town has a hood in Puerto Rico so people from there need to be ready to protect the hood. He talks about that. I relate to him by the fact I write about those things too. He influences what a person from my ethnicity or racial identity is if you are from the hood or if you're a person that needs to survive by being "street". Most of the time its not because your mom raised them like that or taught them wrong it's what you become due to where you live. Also due to job shortages or no money to study. This is where these images are born. This is how Nengo Flow matches me, but I want to break that chain and prove I can educate myself to be a poet of the night and find a legitimate job during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment